About

Cricket Explained

Cricket-mentor-img

Cricket Explained Founder with one of the students while on tour to UK 🇬🇧 in 2019.

Our Story

Had Coaches but never had Mentors. Goal is to be a Mentor

My name is Hrishikesh Puranik (Founder) and this is the story behind ‘Cricket Explained’

I am from Dombivli, a suburb in Mumbai where many Chartered Accountants & successful people from various fields have made it big. Dombivli has till now given gems to Mumbai cricket and eventually to Indian Cricket. Some famous names to mention are Nilesh Kulkarni, & Ajinkya Rahane. Many others who started playing with me also made it to First Class cricket and A division cricket in Mumbai.

Our cricket community is full of cricket coaches but unfortunately we don’t have many Mentors. All current and former great cricketers have had Mentors along the way in their respective careers.

Ramakant Achrekar sir was more of a Mentor, a companion, a friend to Sachin Tendulkar than just a Coach. He instilled not only cricket technique in him but also a lot of values. Hence, whenever Sachin failed in a series or a game, he managed to come out ever so strong as he had someone that he could talk to. Its not just about technique, its about expressing what you’re going through. It helps in maintaining the right balance on & off the field.

CE-play-img

Founder Hrishi with Former England Captain Nasser Hussain. He visited Azad Maidan in 2018 to shoot a Documentary for Sky Sports.

I founded ‘Cricket Explained’ in an effort to bridge the gap between the player and the coach. The gap is about the dip in communication. Its about helping individuals off the field just not on field. I have started this just not to be yet another ‘Coach’ on the list who would provide a technical session in the nets but someone who could help make these aspiring cricketers understand what it takes to perform to the best of their ability.

While I am proud of the career that I have had so far, the importance of having a Mentor could’ve helped me reached even greater heights. I am at peace with it now and moved on but the pain still lives within me. Living through it, I am extremely passionate about helping aspiring cricketers to reach their full potential by being their Mentor first then a Coach. I have had many coaches but never had a Mentor. I am a firm believer of the fact that only technique doesn’t make you a Cricketer. You need to understand yourself and be able to control your emotions when it’s time to perform in the middle.

Lot of cricketers have the technique but they don’t know how to bring technique & mental preparation together. So many kids i see today look out of this world while in the nets but they look a pale shadow of themselves during a match.

Mine was the same, I had everything that a Cricketer needs but later in my career upon reflection I realized that the issue was psychological. All cricketers will tell you nerves do set in & negative thoughts do come in but as athletes we need to rise over all that to be successful. Players feel scared or hesitate to ask questions thinking it might not be a good idea to ask. This happens when the Coaches aren’t open to discussions and find solace in net sessions only.

The only question that wasn’t asked, was the question itself

Hrishikesh Puranik

I always had a feeling in my teenage days that i was going in the right direction, till reality hit me that the form in the nets and scores of 30’s, 40’s and a odd 50 wouldn’t take me anywhere. I was completely devastated and felt very lonely. Honestly, i had some great coaches who would invest so much time in altering my technique, giving me throw downs but none unfortunately would go on and become a my Mentor which all of us need. Its like in life we’ve a companion and in cricket, a Mentor is our companion who rides the waves ( Success & Failure) along with us.

I always thought, What was wrong with me? I had the technique, skills & physique. So what was it that held me back? Through out my time in India wanting to make it big, i showed great promise but never really got going. Trying to get in the Mumbai state team, then Maharashtra cricket team and then the Cricket i played in England for 4 years. If you want to play for your state team, you need to be consistent with your performances. One hundred then the other one after 10 innings doesn’t help. Upon reflection i realized that my problem was in my head. It was psychological and nothing to do with technique & skills. My emotions were not letting me perform to the best of my ability.

Its easy for me to say that was the only thing i was struggling at but Cricket is 70% mental and the rest 30% is skill based so when you’re struggling at 70% part of the game you will never get the desired results.

We at CE feel it is about controlling your emotions at crunch moments which makes you better than others. As i said, I personally had many coaches but never had a Mentor. Coaches do 30% of the work which is skills but the rest 70% which is Mental Preparation can only be done by Mentors.

Mentoring is more relationship oriented which is necessary for any aspiring Sportsperson. At CE we work with aspiring Cricketers to get them more focused, powerful, mentally tough and technically proficient than before. Our aim is to not only help aspiring cricketers on the field but also off it. All successful current & former players have had Mentors to guide them at some point in their careers.

CE-play2-img

Students of Shriram Universal School with Hrishi. He worked as a Cricket Coach at the school.

Team India were blessed to have a coach in Garry Kirsten who once said, ‘Cricket coaches shouldn’t just be looking after the skills of players but he should be able to manage different types of personalities, identify them & then give them an opportunity to thrive’.

We believe in talking to our players more than just throwing balls at batsmen in the nets and altering their technique.

Give us this opportunity to be the Mentor you never had.

Hrishikesh Puranik
Founder (Cricket Explained)